Here is the recipe for my vegan version of the old classic berry oatmeal bake. I love it cold from the fridge for breakfast, but it is also delicious hot from the oven, and any time of day! It is highly versatile too – you can substitute for all sorts of frozen berries or mix in some different fruit. A favourite of mine is actually rhubarb! Also try using different kinds of nuts, such as pecans, almonds, hazelnuts or some chopped brazil nuts.
You can also vary the milk you use. Since I follow a plant based diet I use almond milk, hazelnut milk or soy milk (unsweetened, sweetened or vanilla flavour), but of course you could use any kind of (preferably organic) cow’s milk.
It is very quick and easy – I usually have all the ingredients in the house as the recipe is very pantry friendly. And it only takes 5 minutes to throw it all together and baking time is between 20-25 minutes. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days, just cover the dish with some cling film.
The best thing though is that it is not just healthy and good for you and provides you with plenty of energy, but that it is absolutely delicious!
- 2 cups quick cook oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries etc)
- ½ cup walnuts
How to Prepare the Vegan Breakfast Slice
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients in another smaller mixing bowl.
- Scatter half of the berries on the bottom of your baking dish.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the berries. Give the dish a little shake so it is nice and even.
- Pour the bowl with the mixed wet ingredients over the dry. Again, give it a little shake so everything is evenly wet.
- Scatter the remaining berries and the walnuts on top of the oatmeal mix.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the oatmeal mix and the nuts are nicely toasted. Enjoy!